Just a quick post to inform the N900 users that didn’t enable the extras-devel or extras-testing repositories that the contacts merger has been promoted to Maemo extras. Just look for “Merge your duplicate contacts” in the application manager and enjoy
Since my previous post about the contacts merger, I fixed a crash, made it handle better broken vcards, improved the partial matching and made the installer quit the address book when the plugin is installed, so no reboot is needed.
The new 0.1.3 merger is now available in Maemo extras-testing, just look for “Merge your duplicate contacts” in the application manager.
Suppose I could have some spare time to write some small applications relating to the N900 address book; what would you want me to work on? The application should be small and not require changes to the closed source components. Suggestions are welcome in the comments, but I cannot assure you anything
Update: I meant extras-testing of course, not extras
One of the common complaints about the Maemo address book is that it’s easy to get a lot of duplicate contacts as the address book is able to pull your contacts from various IM services. From the beginning there has been a way to merge duplicates, but it meant manually going through all of your contacts hunting down the duplicates.
Today I finished writing the first version of a program that tries to automatically detect duplicates based on the IM names, emails, phone numbers and names. Of course this is just based on heuristics; you still have to go through the list and select the contacts that you want to merge. You can find this utility under the name “Merge your duplicate contacts” in the application manager and it’s available in Maemo extras-devel. Remember that extras-devel contains unstable software: enable it only if you really know what you are doing!
After installing Contacts Merger you have to reboot your phone and then you will get a “Find duplicate contacts” button in the menu of the main address book window.
Update: I released 0.1.1 that fixes a crasher in case of malformed contacts.
Update 2: Forgot to say where to get the code.
 Sadly the address book doesn’t automatically load newly installed plugins without a restart; see bug #10542.
Finally the new update for Maemo 5 is out; it’s good to see that months of bug fixes and new features are finally available to everybody! One of the new features, not directly visible to users, is that developers can now add new buttons to the Contacts application menu. At the beginning we wanted to make the plugin system more powerful, but sadly it required too many changes and we didn’t have enough time to finish and test it properly.
To add new buttons you have to create a new object that derives from
OssoABookMenuExtension and implements the required methods. For an example of this, see the example on gitorious that Mathias wrote and the API documentation.
Please, don’t go crazy with this new feature and don’t add 2000 different buttons to the menu!
As I said in my previous blog post, some changes in the Facebook XMPP servers lead to the unmerging of the Facebook contacts that were merged with local contacts in the N900 address book. To fix this problem I wrote the small utility Facebook migrator, now available in Maemo extras-testing, that automatically merges back your contacts. Please remember that extras-testing contains unstable software and mine is not an exception! The source code is available on the Collabora git repositories.
If you have any feedback, please let me know in the comments to this post. The only known issue at the moment is that saving your contacts is quite slow, but I didn’t bother making it fast considering that it’s just a one time operation.
In other news, I noticed that I don’t get an email notification anymore when somebody comments on my blog, but a simple PHP script that uses the
mail() function sends emails correctly. In the logs I don’t see anything useful and I’m sure the notifications are not in the spam folder. Does anybody have any suggestion on how to debug this?
The N900 address book can merge multiple contacts into a single entity: if you have a friend that has a phone number, an email address, a Jabber user name, a MSN one and so on, then you can merge all of the different entities into a single meta-contact.
The different IM contacts are tracked through their username and should be immutable, but yesterday Facebook changed all the IDs from something like “firstname.lastname@example.org” to “-email@example.com”. For the address book this means that all the previous contacts were deleted from the IM roster and new contacts were added, so you get duplicate contacts. Moreover, when a contact is removed from the roster we leave the IM user name in the contact details, if you click the button you can add the contact back to one of your rosters. In the Facebook case this means that you end up with all of your meta-contacts with a useless button that cannot do nothing.
The fix for this is to remove the old IDs and merge your contacts again, simple but tedious. A better way to do it is to be patient and wait until I finish a program that will do it for you in a few click
Update: I finished and release the program, see my blog post about Facebook migrator.
 Actually, some changes in the IDs are possible for normalisation purposes; if you add “FooBar@example.COM” it will become “firstname.lastname@example.org” in your roster. (And yes, the normalisation is buggy in PR1.1, but it will be fixed in PR1.2.)